Is my caterpillar sick?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LeslieD 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

LittleDudette
    Participant

So I recently picked up a caterpillar from my neighbors yard, I put him in a container with a paper towel on the floor, some branches and some wet leaves. I noticed he wasn’t eating, and he was just laying on the floor, pooping a lot and every so often leaking some kind of yellow liquid.
    Turns out my mom had recently fumigated our yard, so I suspected it could be pesticide poisoning, but I wasn’t sure since he wasn’t actually in my yard, but close enough to be affected by it maybe?
    So I washed my hands, rinsed him a bit under the faucet (I read it could help clean the pesticides off his skin), carefully dried him, cleaned his container, put new paper towel and some new clean leaves.
    However, he’s still just lying on the floor, he barely moves, although he poops once in while and is not leaking anymore, is there anything else I can do to help? Should I remove the leaves? I’m pretty sure they’re clean but not entirely. Is it okay to have him in my house? Only the yard got fumigated but could it still harm him? Thanks in advance.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD

awesome … thanks for sharing 🙂

LittleDudette
    Participant

Hey! Good news!
    I decided to do a little more research about what I could do to help my caterpillar, and found a video about how sometimes you can health back sick caterpillars by making a little humidifying containment system, and that way, try to get them hydrated again. So I decided to give it a try.
    I wrapped a small little plant (roots still attached) in a wet paper towel, and put it in a small ziplock bag with water, sealed tightly so to avoid my caterpillar falling in and drowning, and put the plant in his container. I added some clean wet leaves, in case he got hungry, and made sure the paper towel at the bottom of his container was wet.
    I gave him another little shower by passing him under the faucet a couple of times, and put him in the container.
    I gently laid a lid on top of his container, (not sealing it entirely, just letting it rest on top) so that he would have a nice and humid environment and hopefully absorb some liquids.
    I left him there overnight, and when I checked back in the morning, he had managed to climb up his stick, and was wiggling around. And finally, not long ago, he started eating! He made it through a leaf and is now chilling on the roof of his enclosure, I’m gonna keep an eye on him, but he looks to be doing a lot better now c:

LittleDudette
    Participant

I was afraid that might be the case :c thanks for the help anyway Leslie, at least I know I did everything I could. This site is really awesome, it’s great knowing there’s other people out there that can help me out with this stuff, I was really lost about what to do, wasn’t sure if I was doing more harm than good.

LeslieD

Its always sad when these things happen. Sounds rather like he has been poisoned, good chance by the fumigation. Fumes can disperse more widely with wind drift or any air movement. So, sounds to me like you have done all you can and good on you for trying. Maybe it would be kinder to euthanise him? If you put him in the fridge he will go to sleep (he sounds like he is quite far gone anyway) and then you can put him in freezer.
    Maybe wash down the plant he came off to get rid of any residue. I hope there are not more caterpillars on it.
    Sorry its not good news.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.