Identifying swan plants is it or not??

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  LeslieD 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

neurofibromatosis1
    Participant

Just wondering if there is a plant that looks like swanplants but isnt? When i touch the leaves it has quite a potent smell. But has me puzzled as looks like baby swan plants.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD

I’ve seen a few swan plant look alikes around. I pull a leaf in half and if it exudes milky sap then I figure it probably is 🙂

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Good point!

I just looked up Wikipedia to find out if there was a difference in the description between Dandelion and milkweed but both are described as having milky sap…

About milkweed it says :

“Milkweeds use three primary defenses to limit damage caused by caterpillars: hairs on the leaves, cardenolide toxins, and latex fluids. Data from a DNA study indicate that more recently evolved milkweed species use these preventative strategies less but grow faster than older species, potentially regrowing faster than caterpillars can consume them”

Now getting back to your original question … Sometimes I find on a hot day and when the plant is dry the smell gives me headaches. So possibly you do have a swan plant there Best to take a photo and put the photo on Plant ID NZ on Facebook

neurofibromatosis1
    Participant

But so do dandilions? These plants really smell strong they do have white sap but the smell makes me question so was unsure if there was similar plants that looks like swan plants but are not.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Swan plants and other milkweed are easy to tell because they exude a latex or milky sap

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.