How to care for chrysalis on silverbeet which has been picked

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dawn 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

greyponygirl
    Participant

Hi all, My daughter picked a leaf of silverbeet yesterday and then found it to have a monarch butterfly chrysalis on the underside of it. I believe the chrysalis is recent and would like to know how I should care for it (silverbeet has already well wilted) to ensure the butterfly hatches? Thanks in advance for any help and advice. 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dawn
    Participant

Hi greyponygirl,
    I had dozens of chrysalis on my silverbeet this year. I moved many of them to a better position as the leaves wilted. I just pegged the section of leaf they were attached to, onto my bean frame or the branches of my lemon tree where they were sheltered and had easy access to things to cling to as they emerged from their ‘hanging lanterns’. Good luck with yours. Needless to say we haven’t eaten much of our silverbeet this season!
    Dawn

LeslieD

yes it can be ‘hung up’ either by a piece of floss or just kept attached to the leaf and pegged to something or just laid down flat in something like a cake cover … close to the edge. Keep it out of direct light and spray a mist of water on it at least daily to stop it getting too dry.

ggh
    Participant

ggh
    Participant

You could tie a piece of thread or dental floss around the cremaster (the black thing at the top) pull it off the silverbeet and then tie it onto something else in a reasonably sheltered position.
    Some people tape them to their kitchen ceilings so they can see the butterfly come out over breakfast. I tend to tie them to the side of the mosquito net over our bed because it’s really easy for the butterfly to cling to while it’s drying its wings. If I’m not mistaken, Caryl, who is an absolute butterfly-raising legend, just sets the chrysalis on a surface next to something that’s easy for the butterfly to climb up once it comes out.
    At any rate, the most important thing is to put it somewhere where it won’t fall, and where the butterfly will have a little room to hang from something and let its wings expand and dry.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.