Help, too many caterpillars, Hamilton

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Shirls 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

TaniaR
    Participant

Hi, I am new to this site and I have 2 swan plants that are over 7ft tall, however the hungry caterpillars have just about stripped it bare. I have over 100 needing a homes. Is there anyone who can help? Thank you

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Shirls
    Participant

Hi Liz
    I have your numbers (thanks Jacqui) I will see if my friend does make it over this side and let you know.
    My plants are starting to look like Christmas trees – lots and lots (I counted close to 50) of chrysalis.

TgaLiz
    Participant

Oops, meant could Shirls and TaniaR co-ordinate. I could get cats to Mary at the Quarry if she has enough plants too.

TgaLiz
    Participant

I’m in Matua, but could be out and about over the next few days so could pick up from town, Greerton, Bethlehem etc if that helps. I have a very large bushy plant, and only one tiny cat being carefully looked after inside. I keep Jars of leaves inside to protect from those horrible wasps, so they will be well looked after. Can you co-ordinate with Shirls as well?

Shirls
    Participant

My poor plants are under attack from caterpillars, I have (or had) 6 good healthy plants and there is not much left. This season the cats have certainly cleaned me out earlier than usual.
    Liz a friend of mine might be coming over this weekend to collect a few; where abouts are you in TGA?

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hello Tania

Strange, Hamilton is not noted for its “tropical climes” but people in Tauranga and the Bay of Islands and further north, and Auckland have seen no (or very few) females laying eggs. This is the second person we’ve had in Hamilton desperate to give away caterpillars!

You could try primary schools – they usually have lots of swan plants. One I know of, but is it close to you? is Rhode Street School.

And you could ask at garden centres, some people love buying swan plants with caterpillars on them.

Hope that helps.

Jacqui

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hello Tania

Strange, Hamilton is not noted for its “tropical climes” but people in Tauranga and the Bay of Islands and further north, and Auckland have seen no (or very few) females laying eggs. This is the second person we’ve had in Hamilton desperate to give away caterpillars!

You could try primary schools – they usually have lots of swan plants. One I know of, but is it close to you? is Rhode Street School.

And you could ask at garden centres, some people love buying swan plants with caterpillars on them.

Hope that helps.

Jacqui

TgaLiz
    Participant

I’m in Tauranga, with a large plant with no cats, so if you know of anyone coming this way who could bring some over the hill, I’ll meet them , but I can’t come to you. Sorry, hope someone nearer can help

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.