Green caterpillar on stinging nettle

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Errol 5 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Cullen
    Participant

I got stinging nettles yesterday and no sign of any caterpillars on it, but this morning I saw this small green caterpillar eating the nettle leaves and the leaves weren’t curved down so it can’t be a red or yellow admiral

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Errol

I too have just found some of those little green caterpillars on my nettle, first time I’ve had the problem. I solved it by using Ruud’s finger and thumb disposal method!

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Oh but Norm… I LOVE that Burnished Brass Moth, I was absolutely fascinated the first time I saw them flying – or rather hovering, reminded me of hummingbirds I’d seen in the USA.

NormTwigge
    Keymaster

Julia – sounds like a Silver Y moth (Chrysodeixis eriosoma) This caterpillar and the Burnished Brass moth (Thysanoplusia orichalcea) caterpillar, which look very similar to each other, are agricultural pests that feed on the foliage of potato, tomato, soya, carrot, parsley and many others, so when they show up on my nettles I pick them off to save the nettle for my admirals.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi – this moth has been identified in earlier years… look back in the forum messages (or else Norm might contribute the information, I bet he knows).

Julia – love your description!

JuliaTuineau
    Participant

I also had a juicy green caterpillar on nettles I collected. It was a brown moth, 2 small shiny yellow slashes halfway along each forewing, and an upstanding ruff behind its head that reminded me of tricerotops.

Julia

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.