fresh swan plant seed

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

LeslieD

I’ve got lots of lovely fat fresh seed from some large plants doing well in Welly … anyone wants some they could send me a self addressed envelope. Just hoping the coming season is not nearly as dismal here as the last ‘summer’ 🙂

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Yes, worn wee should be great

I think Aphidius colemanii are less effective in the open garden but seem to work well in closed areas like hothouses or greenhouses IMHO

Caryl

Hi Again Leslie, When I have had aphids I squashed and sprayed with detergent every day. I wouldn’t bother with bioforce. I tried their products and they were ineffective. It made the problem worse because then I couldn’t squash and spray them for fear of losing ladybird eggs etc. Another person I know tried them and the same thing – they did nothing. I ended up losing a whole patch of plants. Also are you aware that there will be many aphids on the back of old leaves at the bottom of the plants? Good luck, Caryl

LeslieD

thanks Jacqui
    I’m feeding them with worm pee 🙂 a lady round here has a worm farm and I got a bottle of the spare stuff. Is that ok? or should I give them something like thrive as well? No sign of butterflys yet, let alone eggs and caterpillars so they wouldn’t be affected.
    At the moment I’m on top of the aphids, but will indeed take to the plants with secateurs if I have to .. Its quite satisfying albeit a bit messy squashing them and I have a few days off to check them several times a day to get the survivors.
    And I sent a note off to that bio company to get some natural predators but heard nothing as yet.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Leslie –

If they’re REALLY bad (the aphids) I would suggest that you feed the swan plants well and at the same time take a plastic supermarket and secateurs out to the plant and cut all of the aphids off and straight into the plastic bag and into the rubbish.

This will really knock them back and get you on the right road again.

Jacqui

LeslieD

Hi Caryl … well I’m waging war on aphids 🙁 fast as they show their face I squash them. I’ve sprayed with soapy water too but that does not seem to deter them. I shall prevail! No sign of monarchs in my garden, but I have seen admirals flutting round where I keep my horse and I found a small white butterfly at home today. Lovely to see the warm weather, I hope its the start of things to come.

Caryl

Hi Leslie, My plants are great too. Today I made a quick trip back from Martinborough to check my plants as I had a snail problem – first time ever. Fortunately there were few so I did lay bait for them (sorry snails). I found monarch eggs and some tiny caterpillars. Monarch butterflies are so hardy,amazing really. Caryl

LeslieD

hi Caryl

plants are for the most part in good shape. snails and slugs only just starting to make an appearance and not too interested in the older leaves but heading for fresh growth damned things. I’ve got some big plants this year.

Caryl

Leslie, How have your plants done over the horrible winter we have had? Mine are currently attacked by snails and most of my plants have survived the winter, very unusual, Caryl

LeslieD

gosh they took a while to get to you … our postal system is really slow. anyway I have had good success with them so far, so hoping you do too 🙂

Trez_a
    Participant

Thanks for the seed Leslie 🙂 Arrived yesterday and will give them a go over the weekend 🙂

LeslieD

Yes I’ve got plenty. Email me at leslie.dolphin@paradise.net.nz and I’ll give you an address 🙂 I’ve tried soaking seeds overnight and planting quite a few in seed raising mix and keeping moist in a warm place. Some of the seeds have germinated very quickly but some take a while to come through. I’ll give you a lot.
    I lost a lot last year to slugs and snails and then some to mildew. I’m hoping for a better result this year too.

Trez_a
    Participant

Hi Leslie, I had a terrible success rate with the last lot of seed I purchased, but keen to try a different method this time. Do you still have some left? If So, where do i send the envelopes?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.