First eggs today

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  caroldee 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

LeslieD

Gosh a gorgeous day in karori and one of my girls has come back to lay the first eggs on my plants 🙂 Very early for here, I’ve had to close up the butterfly house to stop those plants getting eggs. there is plenty outside for her. Another one flew over while I was outside too and I saw a yellow admiral this morning. AND I saw the first clutch of ducklings being mismanaged by their parents this morning as well. gotta be spring!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

caroldee
    Participant

I’m in suburban Napier and almost embarrassed to say but I have not seen ONE monarch yet this season.
    I have three well grown swan plants siting on my patio in pots that I have tended all winter, I also have the end of last seasons plants that I bought as seedlings from Jacqui waiting in my butterfly house ready to provide additional food.
    But NO eggs.
    Anyone else in Napier noticed the lack of monarchs?
    I’m just assuming/hoping that it will be a late season!

LeslieD

yes its got a totally different look and feel in Welly this year … people have been telling me how they have noticed the butterflys over winter and I’ve seen them in places here where its not usual. I’ve got quite a little gang of baby cats in the hothouse now and more to come. lots of eggs on my plants up the top. And there is no doubt about it having lots of plants that can’t be ‘egged’ is the way to go :).

Desiderata
    Participant

Hi all,This is the first time since joining the Monarch trust ( 4yrs) that I have not had to obtain cats and or eggs from other members to kick off my butterfly raising season.Even though my existing plants are not at full leaf one female has been really busy, laying eggs on any leaf that she can find. Thankfully I have many plants that I can plant now that are egg free – plants that I have raised from seed to fill in any spots where plants have died. I am in Roseneath Wellington and I’ve noticed my local garden centers have small plants in store.

LeslieD

just checked hothouse and I have at least one teeny weenie that’s hatched this evening 🙂 I expect there will be more.

LeslieD

Hi Caryl nothing here yet either … I’ve got some plants with eggs on in hothouse so I expect they will be first of my lot … eggs still white. i’ll let you know!

Caryl

Hi Leslie, I returned from Martinborough last night. I think you know I had eggs 1 September. I thought I might have some cats but I don’t. Checked my records for last season and I had cats 10 October. Do let me know when you have some!
    Warm regards, Caryl

LeslieD

Hi Caryl Welly is a bit warmer at your level and you have a bit of a microclimate I think. I adopted quite a few last year (some from you) and a lot from Fiona and the first ones to eclose were December. Lets hope for a good summer 🙂

Caryl

Hi Leslie, I’ve been in Martinborough for almost 3 weeks and return 1 October. I had eggs September 1 and keep a record each season of the progression of eggs to butterflies. Most seasons it takes between 80-90 days until they eclose. Wish Wellington was warmer so it would be quicker! I will probably have caterpillars when I check my garden on Monday next. Warm regards, Caryl

LeslieD

yes things have changed a lot. I know there are eggs in northland (Welly) as well. Last year all the higher suburbs were very slow off the mark. And Ive even seen monarchs in Makara (south coast) where we normally hardly ever see them till later in summer if at all. I’m making frantic use of my hothouse to get my plants ready. I’ve only got a dozen or so eggs (as far as I know). The changeable weather will slow things up. I’ve got a lot of big plants in a shelter where they can’t get got at.

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Yes I saw two Monarchs laying eggs on that same day Leslie – here in Kapiti.
    And a Red Admiral on my deck too.
    It used to be late January-February here. Since they winter over across the road now its just a quick trot ‘home’ 🙂
    But Im not ready….
    Fiona

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi TuttifruttiMum – can you please report your sighting into http://www.mb.irg.nz? I don’t think anyone has reported Monic’s overwintering in this reserve … Jacqui

tuttifruttimum
    Participant

Wow eggs already! Seen my first Monarch yesterday down here in Lincoln. My plants are far too immature for an onslaught. He/she didn’t go near my plants (those growing in the garden), maybe they were on the search for a mate or food….
    Anyway it spurred me on to pot up my plants that survived the frosts.
    Visited the Liffey reserve a few weeks back, where the Monarchs overwinter and seen quite a number circling high up in the canopy of the eucalypts (which were in flower). Wondering if any of my tagged boys and girls survived.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Leslie – Great isn’t it !

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.