Excess Caterpillars – Wellington – Seatoun

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Caryl 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Caryl

I’d be so grateful if anyone with few monarch caterpillars and plenty of foliage on their swan plants would be willing to take some of my caterpillars. Despite having sent more than 600 monarch eggs to various places in the South Island, a lot of plants, maybe 200, it’s not enough. The challenge in Wellington is to get the swan plants to grow faster which I’ve not been successful at. I could deliver them to you.
    027 8426773 catlovercaryl@gmail.com

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Caryl

Thanks so much Leslie – I will put it in my monarch contacts! Thanks for your time. Caryl

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Caryl – have you tried Neighbourly? Facebook – our page as well as regional pages? Also send emails to local garden centres, I’m sure there will be people there looking for caterpillars.

Caryl

Hi Leslie
    Someone (no name) has sent me a txt asking if I could take their hungry caterpillars. I’m not able to – still have cats and now more eggs laid today. Do you know if your contact in Northland can take some? I don’t have his ph # nor yours now. Hope she/he posts on this site. If not I have their mobile #.
    Caryl

Caryl

Leslie D, That would be great thanks. I have purchased 210 swan plants already this season, 50 of them 1 metre+ and almost out of food. Thanks so much.
    Caryl 027 8426773

LeslieD

Hi Caryl, are you still looking to rehome cats? I’m seeing someone tomorrow who has a lot of big plants and was short of cats a couple of weeks ago. I thought I’d pass on your number if you are still looking. cheers leslie

Caryl

Hi Leslie D, I’ve rehomed 55 today but still many more need to be adopted! I have 10 chrysalides inside but this season is harsh for them. I have had eggs since the first week of September and it’s been 83 days and the first chrysalides just this week. The first of this season’s new butterflies will be very late compared to previous years which means that chrysalides outside will be very vulnerable to the awful weather we have been having. The rain ruins many soft chrysalides. This is a bitter-sweet experience for us. Caryl

LeslieD

Hi Caryl, I used the neighbourly noticeboard and managed to rehome 30 at the end of last summer. good luck! I suspect there will be a few empty plants after the spring we have had.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.