eggs cats pupas butterly

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 2 days, 1 hour ago.

• Creator
    Topic

rob cooper
    Participant

no 1 the asian paper wasp does not eat the eggs.no 2 once the egg hatches outside the wasp will have that little cat very soon. no3 the paper wasp keeps on taking bugs to about late may to feed to there larvae.no 4 once no more larvae no more bug taking.no 5 the paper wasps will form into a group and multiple sting a big cat it will fall to the ground then those wasps will slowly chop it up into bits and take them back to there nest i have well seen this.no 6 you the trust are not fully addressing this

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Good idea to talk with DOC and the council. Also ask them what conservation groups are active in the area – as they will be taking steps to control Argentinean ants, and you can no doubt piggyback on their expertise and action.

If you decide to get a group of your own going to help the butterflies, we’d back you up with moral support (press releases and publicity is about all we can do, but it helps).

LeslieD

I think they have anteaters in south America, but lots of things eat ants, maybe we just don’t have a lot of those particular things. Be good to get a natural solution to control them. Seems more and more things are getting past the border screening.

Pedropackman
    Participant

Yes Jacqui. As they say in the article, being so small these destructive little critters go unnoticed. I shall contact Regional Council and DOC this week and see what steps they will take before this is a major, but I suspect that the Argentinian ants cover much of the North Island by now. In time will be similar to current situation on Mercury Island. Unfortunately, it has been a great year for them around the Coromandel. I wonder what keeps then in check in South America???

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Wow, PedroPackman -that is sad. I didn’t realise that the area was that big or appreciate the severity of the problem

I have just watched the item on TV one news about the campaign on great Mercury Island

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/impact-argentine-ants-pest-likened-atomic-bomb-going-off-in-our-back-yard?variant=tb_v_1

I will be in touch

Pedropackman
    Participant

Oh I forgot to mention that as a result we have gone from hundreds of Monarchs a few years ago to the occasional very battered stray that makes it our way these days. Very sad!

Pedropackman
    Participant

Any way, the bottom line is that for 3 years I have not found one caterpillar on any of my, or my neighbours, 150 odd lush and beautiful swan plants. The odd little caterpillar that did appear was quickly taken by paper wasps.

Pedropackman
    Participant

Jacqui. The day after I again wrote about the fact that for three years now Argentinian ants have eaten ALL the eggs on my huge number of swan plants as weoo as my neighbours and other locals here in Kuaotunu, you state that you “…don’t not know if anyone is experiencing problems with Argentinian ants….”
    Well, once again I state this sad situation. And I am talking about an area of about 6 square kilometers. You may have recently read or seen on ch 1 news the attempted control of this same problem on Mercury Island.
    I mean this is truly tragic and there seems nothing we can do about it.
    I tried a few plants surrounded by moats but even this was very tempory. Maybe the ants learned how to swim??? Just joking. Maybe lady bugs or something that can fly and relishes Monarch eggs.

Issy1
    Participant

In the South we do not have those pest problems thank goodness.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Rob, I am not sure what you want the MBNZT to reply to?

The point in reporting pests is that any scientist who wants to look into (for example) Argentinean ants, can go into our database and find the locations of where they are a particular problem so that (for example) if they wanted to introduce a biocontrol or have developed a poison for a pest, they know the best areas to target these.

If someone is looking for ways of controlling Argentinean ants they can search the forum and see what others have done. I don’t know if anyone is experiencing problems with Argentinean ants, but a search on ants brought up these results:

https://www.monarch.org.nz/forum/topic-tag/ants/

If you need to search on a double-barrelled name, then you separate the two words with a dash, e.g.

https://www.monarch.org.nz/forum/topic-tag/swan-plants/

The objects of the MBNZT are:

The objects of the Trust are as follows:

i. to raise public awareness and increase biodiversity within New Zealand for the benefit of present and future New Zealanders;
    ii. to maintain, protect and increase biodiversity within New Zealand, so that the natural habitat of the Monarch Butterfly and other Lepidoptera species are protected and enhanced;
    iii. to increase opportunities for members of communities and visitors to New Zealand to enjoy and experience the Monarch Butterfly and other Lepidoptera species as part of the natural environment;
    iv. to encourage members of the public within New Zealand to protect and enhance other habitats of the Monarch Butterfly;
    v. to enable research groups and individuals to carry out research and education projects relevant to the Trust‟s objects;
    vi. to liaise with groups with similar objectives;
    vii. to seek funding support for any of the objectives of the Trust.

We are all volunteers and we all do as much as we can. There is a great deal of information here on our website and when the MBNZT has funds we will be investing more in upgrading our website. But it’s a case of “self-help”.

Leaving messages here with appropriate topic subjects will hopefully introduce you to other members (financial and/or non-financial) who have experienced similar problems and may have some solutions to share with you. I hope so.

rob cooper
    Participant

it seems no one wants to reply yes we have that ant in nelson as well it has not made it to our district yet but im sure it will yes just something else to battle tis a shame the trust cant put up any replys to posts like these

Pedropackman
    Participant

For 3 years now I have written in regards to Argentinian sugar ant eating all the monarch butterfly eggs, and there have been plenty of those, on my 100 or so swan plants.
    This situation spread to my neighbours in the 2nd year and now as far away as 3 kilometers.
    I am surprised there have been no comments from others on this.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.