Egg Hatching

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  monkey 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Marion Bellamy
    Participant

Any eggs we see on our numerous swan plants we bring inside to hatch but although these hatch and start eating the swan plant, by the time they reach about 2mm they disappear. Does anyone know what could be happening to them?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

monkey
    Participant

They are incredibly tiny when first hatched; not surprising when you look at the size of the egg they hatch from. I thought I’d lost one of mine & I looked and looked at the container I had them in, peering all over the paper towel they were on. Had almost given up when I spotted it on the OUTSIDE of the lid, an incredible distance for something so tiny.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Great to hear, Marion!

Marion Bellamy
    Participant

The mystery has been solved. After having thought we had “lost” 2 or 3 newly hatched caterpillars, we found they had hidden themselves by eating into and virtually burying themselves inside the flower buds on the sprig of swan plant. Thank you to those who offered suggestions.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I do the same as monkey but use plastic takeaway food containers. I replace the leaf daily

I was getting a lot of infertile eggs last year though… are you definitely seeing caterpillars?

monkey
    Participant

They are very small & can easily escape, especially as lots of them seem to move away from the food source when they are going to moult. I put mine in a jar with a paper tissue in the bottom of it. Then I use a plastic lid with a very small amt of water in it & cover this with glad wrap, with a tiny hole cut in it. I put a very small sprig of swan plant in the hole & carefully ‘feed’ the little caterpillars onto it. Then I cover the jar with more glad wrap. I undo the glad wrap from time to time to let in fresh air, or you could poke tiny holes in it. When the cats are larger I move them on to bigger premises. Seems to work for me, & they can’t escape & die of starvation

LeslieD

are they still inside? lots of things happen to them especially if they are outside. Predators like wasps and shield bugs and earwigs will take them … and some just won’t survive anyway. I’ve found they are very vulnerable when shedding their skin.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.