Dwarf patio Buddleja

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Caryl 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Janeannlouise
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to source some Buddleia plants and/or cuttings, and I’ve just discovered Thompson and Morgan, UK, have cultivated a Dwarf Patio Buddleja.

From their website: http://www.thompson-morgan.com
    “T&M exclusive breeding
    The best plant to attract butterflies to your garden
    Dwarf patio buddleja – won’t take over your garden
    15cm (6in) flowers the size of usual buddlejas, but plants are half the size
    Long-flowering, brightly-coloured blooms attract butterflies
    Easy to grow and problem-free
    Plants last more than 10 years
    Customer favourite

A new twist on a much-loved garden favourite, ‘Buzz’™ is the world’s first patio buddleja! These attractive, compact plants are loved by bees and butterflies, but won’t take over your garden. Buddleja ‘Buzz™ Magenta’ is easy to grow and problem-free with a super long-flowering period. Perfectly proportioned for patio pots and smaller gardens. Height and spread: 120cm (47″).”

I wonder if Buzz will come our way?

Warm wishes.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Caryl

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Oh wow!

http://media.thompson-morgan.com/medias/sys_tandm/8869950652446.jpg

I mean… OH WOW!!! How gorgeous.

Sadly, I doubt that we’ll see them here. A few years ago one brave plant breeder (Lyndale Nurseries) brought in “Silver Anniversary” at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars, trialling it and getting it accepted (as not being a threat to NZ’s primary industries or biodiversity) and it didn’t turn out to be popular – either by shoppers or pollinators.

Buddleias are not PC. Even though it’s just one of them that is the problem plant the “message” out there is that ALL buddleias are bad. Just try asking at your neighbourhood garden centre and the standard response is “Oh no, buddleias are a pest plant/noxious weed…” etc.

So if anyone did want to import Buzz they would have to do a huge PR campaign to convince people that not all buddleias are bad. They’d have to spend thousands on the government protocols that protect our biodiversity. And I don’t think it would be worth their while. Better to invest their resources in coming up with a new hybrid native that is colourful and is loaded with nectar for the birds, butterflies and bees, and that people are likely to find attractive in their own garden.

Just my humble opinion.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.