Diapause?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 7 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui
    Keymaster

If I release a female Monarch butterfly, and she is immediately "gathered up" (nice way of expressing it) by a male, surely this would mean that the Monarchs in this area are not in diapause?

(I’m in Blockhouse Bay, Auckland.)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

This from a friend in the USA:

“Males have a higher metabolism. So it is possible that some males are not in diapause or have broke diapause and are mating. But a female can mate and remain in diapause as long as she does not begin producing eggs. She benefits from the nutrients from their mating.

This last winter I had several monarchs spend the winter with our milder than usual temperatures. I did not see any egglaying from about November 10 until we had a warm spell in early January. But I do remember in the third week of November seeing mating monarchs in my yard. So there could be breeding males that are still alive but the females could be in diapause. Check your night and day temperatures and they could offer a clue. Here when the night temps dip to 60F and day temps are below 75F we usually will see freshly eclosed monarchs more in diapause.”

Charlotte
    Participant

LOL. Yes I do find this happening on the odd occasion. Or could this just be the older male trying to stand his ground? (Waitakere City, Auckland)

Anna
    Participant

Same happening here. Do you find male monarchs trying to pair with other males? I have observed that here as well? (Nelson area)

Charlotte
    Participant

I would tend to agree Jacqui as I am experiencing the same thing.
    We might be in for a long wait until diapause, do you think?
    From our records from last year we never stopped mating until June, as we had a warm winter to begin with.
    Our last Monarch emerged in July and then when started again in September.. only four weeks break:-(( I hope this is not the case this year:-))

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.