Titirangi, Auckland – Desperately need Swan Plants

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Kathryn.V 4 years, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jeanene73
    Participant

We are in Titirangi and have lots of caterpillars and no swan plant left. Can anyone help please. Also our swan plant is covered in aphids, how can I get rid of them? Thanks

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Kathryn.V
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,
    Would you be willing to take on more hungry caterpillars? The limited number of plants I have, have been totally demolished in this last week and I have maybe 20 or more hungry cats.

thanks.

Gillian Eadie
    Participant

I’m in St Heliers and have swan plants left uneaten in my garden but they are pretty big and not really portable. We could take some garden-guests though if it would help. Most of our portable plants have been well-eaten. Give me a call 528 7393

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I am getting in some more swamplands. Watch this space or sign up for our emails and we will keep you informed

Jacqui

Shirls
    Participant

That very helpful man and his beautiful big swan plants would be Bruce from The Plant Place – near the Waikato Hospital and soccer fields.
    His plants are the best I have ever seen – for sale that is!

Delboy123
    Participant

A very helpful chap who has a Hamilton East garden centre said to get a plastic spray bottle that hasn’t been used for insecticide, fill it with a decent amount of dish-washing liquid, more than you’d use for the dishes, and water, and coat the aphids with the frothy bubbles. He says it smothers and kills them, though after a few days you’ll need to look for the odd one or two you missed. Works for me.

This guy said he had trialled it himself. He’s very good on the subject of butterflies. I’d read that a certain insecticide would kill aphids and not harm catepillars. But he didn’t trust that and — costing himself the sale of a $25 bottle of this stuff — he said not to buy it but to use the dish-washing liquid instead.

As well, we’ve travelled from Waihi a couple of times to buy his big swan plants because we could only find tiny ones in Tauranga, and he said because we’d come all that way just for the butterflies’ sake he would give us an additional five big plants each time.

I’m not sure of the garden centre’s name but as he is so helpful to butterfly lovers, I’d recommend anyone who needs good-sized plants and helpful advice to go there if in the general area. The garden centre is a couple of minutes from the hospital but, sorry, I don’t know the street name or the man’s name.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Steve and Lindy, please get in touch, 551 3383.

Cheers

Jacqui

steveandlindy
    Participant

I’m also in titirangi and needing swan plants for hungry caterpillars! None left at local nursery . Am using pumpkin but they don’t seem to be going for it. Don’t suppose you can help our caterpillars too Jacqui?! Thanks :-).

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Oh and about the aphids, there is plenty of advice in here, as well as by downloading the handout which is under Species, Pests.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Jeanene – give us a ring on 551 3383. I’m in Blockhouse Bay.

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.