CREATE BUTTERFLY HABITAT Course (May 2015)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Janeannlouise 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Janeannlouise
    Participant

Hi there, I’m Janeannlouise.

I live in Pukerua Bay, not far from Wellington, on a half suburban/half bush property.

A few years ago I started planting a small organic butterfly and bee garden with swan plants (Now self-seeding all over the place!) and wild flowers.

Now our weather is so changeable and sometimes stormy, the last of our Monarch caterpillars are in a caterpillar castle inside our house.
    On warmer days butterflies gather and fly near an old pine tree nearby.

I’ve been thinking about starting another garden and planting small-ish nettles under some trees, but I’m not sure where to start. So I thought I’d do this Course.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Janeannlouise
    Participant

Hello again.

I thought I’d give you a quick update on some recent Monarch happenings here.

All going well, my last remaining butterfly is about to emerge, and on warmer days a few still hover around our old pine tree.

We’ve had several storms – torrential rain and 100km wind gusts – and some days have been below 10C. I sometimes wonder how anything outside has stayed in one piece!
    Perhaps not surprisingly, three caterpillars had an infection and two butterflies were too weak to fully emerge.

The Butterfly Gardening/Habitat Course has been very helpful and perfect timing for me. Thanks for putting together such an interesting, colourful and practical resource.

I’m looking forward to spring and new beginnings.

Janeannlouise
    Participant

Hi. I’m pleased to have some company and hope you enjoy the course.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Dane

No, not too late. We’ll sneak you in.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

I missed this course date? Too late to start?

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Welcome and great to have you here. Your garden sounds fantastic! Nettles love to be under trees – especially macrocarpas.

Great time to be planning new gardens, too. Ideal time of the year!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.