Chrysalis has strange spots( otherwise healthy caterpillars)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Monarch1
    Participant

Hi, one of my otherwise healthy caterpillar’s chrysalis has some strange black spots, and I would like to know if he/she will be alright. Thanks!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Oh! Afterthought!! What I’ve written applies to New Zealand – you haven’t told us whether you’re in NZ or the USA.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Please don’t tag your monarch!!

Monarchs tagged at this time of the year are muddying the data we are collecting. We ONLY tag the Autumn generation – the ones that will overwinter.

The monarch you are releasing will have a life span of a few months – best guess is 6-8 weeks after it’s done what it’s here to do (males: mate until all its sperm has been used up, females: lay eggs and fly to another patch of milkweed to lay more eggs, until all her eggs are gone) and then it will die 6-8 weeks later.

Thanks.

Monarch1
    Participant

Thank you! Chrysalis just hatched,seems very healthy! Will tag & release!

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hello Monarch 1

Time will tell. This could be a sign of something ominous or it might be that another caterpillar “bit” the chrysalis with the dark spots or…

You don’t tell us where you are – what part of the world?

Edith Smith in the USA (Florida) has taken lots of photos and ID’ed various monarch diseases and I’ll point you at some of her photos. But here in NZ most of our monarchs are pretty healthy, so unless you get more than one with tge symptoms, I wouldn’t worry too much.

http://www.butterfly-fun-facts.com/disease-oe/black-death-not-a-disease-what-is-it/

Check out Edith’s photos on our page: http://www.butterfly-fun-facts.com

Also, click on the hot tag “disease” at the right of this page. And this is also useful reading:

Where to look for a Monarch Chrysalis in the Butterfly Garden?

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.