Chrysalis and Egg Questions

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Monica
    Participant

I have some chrysalises that do not seem to be maturing properly. The last ones formed chrysalises around 20 February. How long before I can be sure they have died? There are 13 of them, and I would hate to give up too soon.

Also, is monarch reproduction seasonal? I am in Christchurch, and I assumed with the cooler weather coming, they would be done laying eggs for the season. However, yesterday a monarch came and laid 6 eggs on my plants. Do I cull them, or let them mature? Do swan plants die off in winter?

My apologies if they answers are obvious. I am new to both Monarchs and New Zealand :o)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Monica… another thought – are you coming along to the ALL ABOUT BUTTERFLIES day at Bromley Community Centre tomorrow, 1pm?

Monica
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, Jacqui. I have my swan plants in a trough planter, which I have moved up onto my patio so it is out of the wind and under the eaves of the roof. Hopefully this will give them enough protection from possible early frosts.

Monica

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Monica

No, you don’t need to cull them. Monarchs (and other wildlife) have their own sense as to when seasons begin and end… they don’t follow the same protocols that we do!

When the monarchs sense that winter is imminent they won’t breed but will wait until the spring even though they’re sexually mature. Hopefully your female monarch knows more than we do, and we will have at least another month of “Indian summer”.

Not sure about your pupae though. I would just watch them and if they go brown, milky and smelly I’d get rid of them but leave them be if not.

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.