Chinese paper wasps

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kay2 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

rowanmary
    Participant

We raised many Monarchs when we lived in Blenheim but 6 years ago the paper wasp population exploded and they destroyed so many caterpillars & chrysalis’s. A constant battle with a battery powered fly zapper being the best weapon ( affectionately named frank). Our efforts however went from about 80-100 down to 10-20.
    We moved to Masterton 2.5 years ago and enjoyed so many more insects and much more bird life. Both of which have been greatly effected by spraying of vineyards.
    The first 2 summers we managed to raise quite a lot of butterfly’s with the enemy being a dark shield bug.
    This year the Chinese paper wasps are back. I wondered why all of the newly hatched ‘pillars kept disappearing —- and then I saw them.
    I want to make a trap any ideas.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

kay2
    Participant

Jacqui i emailed the makers of vespex to say awesome and asked about the paper wasp and whether there was anything on the horizon for that and they answered that they were working on this, however the paper wasp is alot trickier to attract (without attracting other species). I used the contact page here https://www.merchento.com/contact.html

mattie

hi Jacqui. My wasp trap worked last year for the wasps and I also caught a load of flies! I hung it up again last week and it fell and broke. Was going to go get another but would be interested in finding one especially for the paper wasp, as they have got a couple of my caterpillars through the netting. Mine are just starting to hatch now and would also be interested in tagging.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Mattie – how successful is the wasp trap you have? I bought two last year and didn’t have any success. And an entomologist told me that the paper wasps wouldn’t go for the traps -only the Vespula species. And now they have released Vespex for the Vespula species

When you say “they”, who were you taking to? I would be keen to follow this up for our next magazine

Jacqui

kay2
    Participant

These people have made a bait that attracts wasps but not bees, they told me they are working on something for paper wasps, they are much more tricky to make something that will attract only them. https://assets.stuff.co.nz/interactives/special-features/wasp-wipeout/

tessie
    Participant

Its not just paper wasps that eat the monarch caterpillars, also praying mantis, spiders, ants, german wasps, brown soldier bug.

Paper wasps are important also pollinators & predators to pest such as aphids and white butterfly caterpillar.

This article is quite interesting.. https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/paper-wasps-guests-or-pests/

mattie

I bought a wasp trap from mitre 10. It is a plastic bowl with small holes and hangs in a tree. You can put a little meat, cat food or similar inside and water goes in the bottom. When they get in they can’t get out. Not very expensive. Or try the sticky fly paper to hang close by. This year I have only seen two wasps so far.(in Auckland) One took a caterpillar on the netting about to turn.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.