Caterpillars -Send Them South

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  rob cooper 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Julzk
    Participant

Hi everyone

My swan plants have survived the winter really well and are thriving.

I am after some eggs that I can hatch and grow into butterflies. We only managed to hatch a couple of butterflies last year and I think it’s because the butterflies found the plants so late.

My Mom used to give me eggs / caterpillars, but she sold her house and moved north.

If you could hook me up, I would so appreciate it!!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

rob cooper
    Participant

where do you live if you have the asian paper wasp there its hard to grow pillers as the wasp eats them they need a netted plant to grow in

Caryl

Julzk, I don’t recommend sending eggs by mail. I have sent many to the South Island in the past 2 years, always by overnight courier. The leaves must be kept moist. The person receiving the eggs has to know how to look after those eggs so they become caterpillars. There are various sources of ‘how to’ on many websites.
    Caryl (Wellington)

Julzk
    Participant

Thanks Trez_a. I have flicked you an email with postage details.

Trez_a
    Participant

I’ve had some early eggs in Auckland, some hatched already!

I’ve heard couriering eggs is an option, but not caterpillars. If you guys aren’t rural, post your addresses or email me on trez_a@yahoo.com and I can check for for fresh eggs over the weekend. It’s supposed to be fine tomorrow and Saturday, so they might come.

Julzk
    Participant

I’ve never had a problem before, my Mom always gave me starter caterpillars from her garden in Lowry Bay, but then she shifted. Chirpy… If we can get some caterpillars or eggs from our northern friends, I can drop them to you, as I am in Maungaraki.

Chirpy
    Participant

ps we dont get paper wasps here

Chirpy
    Participant

I too am near Lower Hutt-at the top of the western hills about 2kms from the cbd. There was a swan plant on the property I bought about 6 years ago and for a couple of years we had tons of Monarchs all around the garden Then three years ago it died and I planted a new one in November 2 years ago which in the absence of caterpillars has now grown well over 2 metres high with huge seed pods But before I planted it the Monarchs had vanished with no eggs ever on the new plant. A neighbour had a plant with no caterpillars last year either. I would love to get some eggs to re establish the butterfly population in the area

rob cooper
    Participant

do you guys have the asian paper wasp there, if you do its a hard project to get your cats to survive the wasp eats them,i got 35 away this year but had one swan plant in a enclosure and one out in the open for the eggs to be laid on.gotta keep looking at uncovered plant for eggs then bring them inside to hatch then get little piller back to the enclousere hard work but was worth it

Caryl

Julzk, I am in Wellington too and it is very early to have eggs here. I usually get monarch eggs the first week of September each year but since our summer season was very poor and our horrid winter I don’t think the population of winter over butterflies will be what it usually is. I hope I am wrong. Caryl, in Seatoun.

Julzk
    Participant

I am in Lower Hutt, in Wellington.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Whereabouts are you, Julzk?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.