Butterfly migration ~ many butterflies in my garden

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 7 years ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Lyres
    Participant

On Sunday afternoon (1.4.2012) I noticed a number of butterflies roosting in an oak type tree in the bottom of the garden..counted 27. The next day in was very rainy and I counted 27 again. Yesterday evening (Wednesday)I counted around 46. They seem to come and go during the day but come back to roost in the evening. Today will be the 5th day that they are here. I wonder how long they are going to stay?..And if more butterflies will join the group? Has anyone experienced this elsewhere?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Lyres – thanks for that… I do hope that you reported this cluster in to http://www.mb.org.nz so it went into the database? That way it will be counted (as all the information is standardised).

I would love to know where they have gone to!

Jacqui

Bradford School
    Participant

Hi Lyres – thanks for that… I do hope that you reported this cluster in to http://www.mb.org.nz so it went into the database? That way it will be counted (as all the information is standardised).

I would love to know where they have gone to!

Jacqui

Lyres
    Participant

Hi there, just wanted to give an update on the butterflies.

The butterflies have now all left the garden. Over the Easter weekend – during a patch of really warm weather, is when they disappeared. I suspect that they must have used my garden as a stop over as part of their winter migration. (They have probably travelled further north). It was nice having them around while they we there though. They stayed for about a week.

Lyres
    Participant

Hi Jane, thanks for the information. Sadly I have to move house on Tuesday next week – but I will try and visit the butterflies from time to time. It was nice to watch them all flying around the garden in the sun today.

One possible problem is that the tree is deciduous – meaning that the butterflies might not like it anymore when the leaves all fall – but hopefully they will move to the near by evergreen camphor tree. – There are a few on this tree already.

This is so exciting though. I have been looking after the caterpillars over the summer and there are many swan plants in the area. However this is the first time I’ve seen them roosting in a large group here.

Jane
    Participant

Hi again Lyres,

I forgot to mention the hot tags:- over on the right-hand side of the screen. There are words (hot tags), and if you hover your cursor over then click on ‘overwintering’ you will get all the topics on this subject to read 😀

Jane
    Participant

Hi Lyres,

These groups are called clusters. They often group like this to overwinter. It sounds to me like you have an overwintering cluster present in your garden. That’s great news, and they will likely stay all winter.

Butterflies often return to overwintering spots year after year, so you may have them as long as your hosting trees remain. Fantastic. It would be great if you would keep us informed on this forum if your butterflies remain, and approx numbers that you observe : )

Lyres
    Participant

I am living in Warkworth, by the way

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.