Butterflies of Great Britain

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Errol 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Errol

For those of you able to get Choice TV, tomorrow night at 7.30 pm is a documentary on the Butterflies of Great Britain. The how, the why and when – all you need to know.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Errol

No problems Terry. There is another butterfly doco ‘Metamorphosis’ showing on another channel currently, which may be really good – or a complete load of rubbish. I haven’t myself seen it yet.

However it’s just a chance for enthusiasts to see other butterfly specie that are not resident in New Zealand.

Terry

Hi Errol and Jacqui!

I only just noticed your replies today. Have been very distracted by other things in my life recently!

I am pleased you liked the Butterfly Programme. I must admit I am a bit of a critic at times, but I did watch a Documentary a couple of weeks ago on youtube about the Kakapo conservation programme. This documentary I have no criticisms of, so I can be satisfied at times, Ha Ha!. It was really well made and very interesting. I would love to see a Kakapo in real life. A truly remarkable bird. Then again I also love Kea’s and I know that they are noted for bouts of vandalism up in the South Island mountains.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I second that, Errol!

Errol

Sorry Terry mate, but I have to disagree with you. True there was some silly footage of tattoos and butterfly dancers, but the close up camera work of the butterflies was great. And we got a chance to see some beautiful butterflies that we’d never see here in New Zealand.

Terry

Sadly Errol I managed to find out more about the Butterfly programme and it’s one of the dumbed down ones. If I remember rightly it’s narrated by a woman with an annoying voice that would be better used narrating a children’s programme.

Terry

Hi Errol!

I looked out of interest at the Choice tv guide to see if there was any detail on who filmed this and if it was an old BBC wildlife production. No real details! If it is a modern BBC production don’t expect it to be very scientific as they have dumbed down so much that the wildlife programmes are fit only for the childish majority. If it’s an old one from before the 2000s it should be quite good. I hope for your sake it has some info on the Purple Emperor as this is the jewel in the crown of butterflies over here in the UK.
    This video made by other lepidopterists is in the exact spot where I stand every June/July to watch Apatura Iris. You can get them down on the ground but they tend to chase females from the tops of the master trees, Oaks normally. They lay eggs on Goat Sallow.

In 3 parts

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.