Buddleia, Butterfly Bush

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ChristinaH 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bev Laing
    Participant

I have well rooted Buddleia cuttings that I sell for $10.00 each, in colours of white, pink, blue, cream, yellow, orange and various shades of purple. You are welcome to email me at bev.fane@xtra.co.nz.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

ChristinaH
    Participant

I have mine growing in pots, just have to make sure the roots don’t creep out the bottom of the pots. they do very well like this.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Buddleias are a pest plant in Auckland, Margaret. They are classified as a “surveillance” pest plant so it is illegal to distribute, sell, buy, transplant them (etc)

The advice that the person at King’s gave you is wrong they do well in the conditions here. IMHO they do not spread and should not be classified as a pest plant… the MBNZT put in a submission to this effect to the Pest Strategy – currently under review.

http://www.arc.govt.nz/environment/biosecurity/search-for-plants/index.cfm?63E0F20E-14C2-3D2D-B905-50098EBBE4B9&plantcode=Buddav

ChristinaH
    Participant

It’s very hot in Hawkes Bay and they grow here.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

No Margaret, buddleias offer nectar for bees and butterflies etc.

margaret bongard
    Participant

Also, Kings tell me that buddleias don’t do well in Auckland as it is too warm for them. Is this correct do you know?

margaret bongard
    Participant

Hello Bev, can you tell me if monarch caterpillars feed on buddleias please?

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I’ve seen Bev’s plants and they are AWESOME!! Good work Bev, keep it up.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.