Buddleia

Tagged: 

This topic contains 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Jimy 5 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

chris
    Keymaster

I am very keen to getting a white buddleia growing in my garden. Does anybody have one and can give me cuttings please. Am happy to postage.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jimy
    Participant

hello
    im from the south island i have a purple butterfly bush and it is awesome
    i would love to no how one grows from cuttings or if anyone has any other colour cuttings they would like to spare

hope we can communicate further in the future
    jimy

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Pat

I remember you now! I will get in touch by email.

Cheers

Jacqui

mchaffie
    Participant

Thank you for offering me some cuttings.

My e mail is pat@mchaffie.org.nz

My school is Gulf Harbour Primary
    Whangaparaoa.

Pat

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Where are you, McHaffie? I could mail you some cuttings… when I go home.

Jacqui

mchaffie
    Participant

Caves nursery has closed and I was wondering if anyone could help me find a source of an acceptable variety of buddleia for a school butterfly garden.

Thank you

Jacqui
    Keymaster

If you would like cuttings of Buddleias, socially acceptable varieties are available on TradeMe. There are several colourways/types – but not the noxious weed “Buddleia davidii”. Prices are very fair. http://www.trademe.co.nz.

Jacqui

HeatherCrofskey
    Participant

Hello Norm, I would dearly love some cuttings of B. salvifolia or if someone has rooted cutting/plants those would be welcome as well. Pay all charges.
    Trying to find nectar plants for winter flowering. Had good success over summer keeping butterflies in the garden with heaps of good nectar plants so would like to do likewise for winter. Tagged first butterfly today, a real thrill! Thanks in advance.

Terry

I have a White Buddleia Davidii (white profusion) in my garden in the UK and it is loved by the Peacock butterflies in particular, although it is popular with other species as well

Anonymous

Hi I am in Rangiora 30mins from Christchurch – I have two purple buddlea anyone is welcome also to come and take a cutting or seeds or whatever. Thanks

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Norm

I have just posted some pictures of various Buddleias on the google group, buddleianz.

I would love to know what their names are!

http://groups.google.com/group/buddleianz

Would you like some more Buddleia cuttings? I could get some next week for you if you like, and send them down…

Let me know.

Jacqui

NormTwigge
    Keymaster

Close to my home is a straggly Buddleia salvifolia growing, which is the the winter flowering variety. On most sunny day in winter it usually has several Monarchs feeding at it and last year I took a cutting from it which I now have growing in my garden. Also have growing the Buddleia globosa, which flowers from spring through till the start of summer. It has an orange flower about the size and shape of a squash ball.
    Norm.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Anyone interested in Buddleia discussion, and sharing news, information and even (perhaps) cuttings, http://groups.google.com/group/buddleianz

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I have also tracked down a white Buddleia in someone’s garden; very fragrant evidently, have been invited to get some cuttings. If anyone else is interested, please email me privately BraeNZ@orcon.net.nz (please put Buddleia in the subject).

Cheers

Jacqui

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Nicky

You could contact Barbara Bishop who lives at Ruapuna, not far inland from Ashburton – I’m sure her phone number is in the book. She has Buddleias. Also, I called in to see Peter Cave and picked up quite a selection. I’m sure he could despatch them to you in the South Island – maybe you could do a “share” with Barbara.

While I was there I got:

B. alternifolia – very restrained with a powerful lilac flower on the second-year stems. 2m

B. colvillei (Kew form), heavier fluffy down to the leaf, rose pink flowers. 2m

B. cripsa – wooly white leaves, sweet-smelling lilac tubular flowers with an orange eye in spring. 3m

B. madagascariensis – Orange-yellow flower spikes in early spring, 15cm long. Full sun. 2m.

B. Nanho Blue – blue-violet flowers, small silvery evergreen leaves, flowers all summer. Tough reliable plant for exposed, sunny places. 2m.

I also got another plant that Peter thought would be great for my butterflies – it’s used for hedging and looks a bit like monkey-apple for its foliage, lovely glossy leaves – but with a flower (none at present) that looks a little like white alyssum. You can see it here:

http://www.nmessences.com

I can’t wait until spring!!!

Cheers

Jacqui

I would love some cuttings from anyone who would love to share! I am happy to pay all costs involved

Anonymous

I have white and purple buddlia – anyone in Petone welcome to come and take cuttings or any seedlings that may appear.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Some months ago I found a research piece on the web which dealt with the relationship of butterfly visitation with nectar qualities and flower colour in Buddleia. And I found it again today! It makes interesting reading.

I have Nanho Blue and I think Black Knight.

The figures are worth looking at, and are not included in the pdf if you download it. It’s best (I think) to read the article on the site.

http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/hort/sctop/dsec/dsec-04.php

Gilly
    Participant

Yeah… I love buddleias and mine have never self sown in my garden.. wish they would 🙂

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi all

I get many inquiries regarding Buddleia (or Buddleja).

Buddleia are often referred to as “the Butterfly Bush” as they are wonderful butterfly magnets, generous nectar providers. There are about 100 species known worldwide – not sure how many there are in NZ but they’re not ‘trendy’ at present and are not well known except to cottage gardeners, older gardeners and butterfly-lovers.

In NZ one of the species of Buddleia (Buddleia davidii) has been declared a noxious weed because it invades river banks and forests, especially in the North Island. An insect is being trialled that they hope will control it.

When you go to a garden centre and ask if they have Buddleia, you are often told that they are a prohibited plant, or on the banned list. This is nonsense – there are acceptable forms of the plant. Let’s talk about the other Buddleia species available which aren’t a pest.

Cave’s Tree Nursery, near Hamilton have these five listed:

B. alternifolia – very restrained with a powerful lilac flower on the second-year stems. 2m
    B. colvillei (Kew form), heavier fluffy down to the leaf, rose pink flowers. 2m
    B. cripsa – wooly white leaves, sweet-smelling lilac tubular flowers with an orange eye in spring. 3m
    B. Dartmoor – purple flowers, divided into the shape of fingers of a hand, 2.5m
    B. madagascariensis – Orange-yellow flower spikes in early spring, 15cm long. Full sun. 2m.
    B. Nanho Blue – blue-violet flowers, small silvery evergreen leaves, flowers all s ummer. Tough reliable plant for exposed, sunny places. 2m.

All are on sale for $20 each – from Peter Cave, Pukeroro, RD3 Hamilton, phone fax 07 827 6601.

I also have cuttings of other Buddleias, but not too sure what I’ve got until they flower! If you have Buddleias you want to share – or know where they can be found – please list your information here. We can swap! Or support the growers who have them!

Power to the Buddleia!

Jacqui

Shaun
    Participant

Email sent Gilly, thank you very much. As I said in my email, I have some very fond childhood memories of spending hours watching the “butterfly bush” in The Cotswolds in England where I grew up, checking off the various species against my pocket version of “The Observer’s Guide to Butterflies”.

Cheers,

Shaun.

Gilly
    Participant

Hi Shaun, I can certainly send you some cuttings. Email me privately on paws.for.thought@xtra.co.nz

I have a variety of colours now….

Shaun
    Participant

Gilly, how did this go? I, too, am after a white buddleia (and a blue one) and haven’t had any luck locally. Did the cuttings take? Are they able to sustain some cuttings themselves yet?
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

Gilly
    Participant

Dee! Wonderful@! Thank you! I’m in Russell, Bay of Islands and will very happily repay your costs of postage. Gilly Jackson, 4 Russell Heights Road, Russell BOI 0255…. thank you thank you! My email is paws.for.thought@xtra.co.nz

Anonymous

Have got some cuttings from a white buddleia from a friend who was just shifting out of her house
    Only trouble is she had a white and a purple bush side by side and she cant remember which was which
    So I have taken some cuttings from both and if you want them all and eventually you will find out which one is white let me know
    Where do you want them sent?
    I’m in sth island
    Dee

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.