Buddleia from cuttings.

This topic contains 66 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Dane Keriboi Hawker 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jane
    Participant

I have tried several methods of propagating Buddleia in the last few weeks just to see what works.

Cuttings in just water.

Cuttings in sharp sand.

Cuttings in willow water.(Willow leaves soaked in water)

All have been successful. The quickest method was cuttings in willow water. The salicylic acid has helped to form roots more quickly. 14 days.

Next was the cuttings in sharp sand. 20 days.

Lastly the cuttings in just tap water, are showing first signs of root initiation today. 28 days.

The message here though is, that ALL METHODS WORKED, and whatever method you choose – they are all pretty easy – so HAVE A GO!!!

Viewing 16 replies - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anna
    Participant

A few months ago I bought Buddleia fallowiana “Lochinch” and it has been really great. It has lilac coloured flowers, and greyish green leaves. I have planted one in the garden and three in pots. So far I have found by nipping out the tips it has kept the plant compact….then I have allowed them to flower, then cut off the spent flowers, and the plants have flowered again.

Bernie

Here in England,we have a dwarf buddelia called Buzz.It only came on the market last year and can be grown in pots.I have a few and am hoping to give them a go in the greenhouse this year.

Charlotte
    Participant

Thanks for the tip Anna;-))

Cheers
    Char

Anna
    Participant

…and Elizabeth, if you keep nipping out the growing tips every now and then, you can end up with a pretty compact plant in a pot, then masses of flowers once its a bit bigger.

clinton9
    Participant

Over a 1 past month, I had putted willow twigs in pail of cold water then I putted some buddliea twigs in pail.

But the buddleia twigs did not formed the roots and then died and willow twigs caused bad smell.

I’ll check tomorrow.

Clinton.

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

I could ask Al(hubby) he might kindly cut you off a few branches of the Buddleias we have in our gardens.
    As we have quite a few varieties.

If you want to email me on beesknees@xtra.co.nz we can sort something out. You can pay for postage;-))
    Or if you have other plants we don’t have we can swap cuttings.

Cheers
    Char

Elizabeth
    Participant

That’s a good idea, Anna – but I suppose I’d better find out if they are banned up here. Otherwise my vigilant neighbours might have another hissy fit at me, as when they discovered my Taiwan Cherries (the Tuis love them for nectar). They are the latest plant locally to be disapproved of – they self seed so easily in the bush. What a shame.

Anna
    Participant

Elizabeth, even if its the ‘dreaded noxious one’ you might be able to keep it in a pot, and cut the dead flowers off before it can seed. I’m sure the butterflies would appreciate it….or are those plants banned from your area?

Elizabeth
    Participant

I have a request – if there is anyone up near Whangarei who has buddleia bushes, I would be most grateful if you could spare me a few cuttings, please. I have a rooted cutting given to me by a friend, but suspect it is the dreaded noxious one – I will see next spring and deal with it accordingly. But I have no others, and the butterflies would be most grateful too! Thankyou.

Elizabeth

Jane
    Participant

Hi Anna,

Either. If it starts to look gungy and smelly you can change it. Good luck with your cuttings, now is the purfect time to take them 🙂

Jane

Anna
    Participant

Hey blutterfly, when you used the willow water did you change it a few times or just leave it in the original water till they grew roots?

Anna
    Participant

Thanks for that blutterfly, I’m going to try the willow water.

Gilly
    Participant

I dip them in icing sugar.. that works well too 🙂

Jane
    Participant

Hi Swansong, and Hi Lepid too,

Several different kinds of Buddleia and they all behaved pretty much the same: Very easy I think so long as they get enough moisture, one way or another they are very obliging : )

Lepidopteranos
    Participant

I have cuttings at present both in soil and in water. I haven’t determined root growth as such, just the fact that they are not wilting and I expect will eventually grow.

Swansong
    Participant

Thats great advice thanks Blutterfy. Any sort of Buddleia in particular or many type?

Swansong

Viewing 16 replies - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.