Brown/Black sucking bugs on my swan plants

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Sandra
    Participant

Hi there I have just joined as a member.  Can anyone tell me what the brown sucking bugs are on the storks of my swan plants they look like just a black or brown shell like thing I don’t see them moving but they are slowly killing my plants.

Thanks

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Sandra
    Participant

Sorry I can’t send a photo but I googled scale bugs and that is exactly what they are.  I have been squashing them with by fingers just like I do with aphids.  I have alot of ants around and those wasps that eats the eggs and caterpillars.  As soon as an egg is laid the ants or wasps eat them it is so frustrating so I bought a caterpillar castle and I finally have a couple of caterpillars.  The castles are great.  Thanks.

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

They could also be scale insect if they don’t move. Definitely a photo would help. Often scale insect will attack heat stressed plants, so a bit of extra watering probably won’t go astray, and you can squash the scale insect with your fingers (the actual insect lives under the shell) and often ants will carry them onto the plant, as they feed off the sweet honeydew the scale exudes, much the same way as ants ‘farm’ aphids.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Sandra – a photograph would help. To me – lots of experience but really need to know more about your situation – they sound like aphid mummies. Are some of them bright orange (Aphids or Aphis nerii)?

Read more about them here. The mummies are “good” for your swan plants.

https://www.monarch.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/aphids-fact-sheet.pdf

Can you send in a photo, to photos@monarch.org.nz?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.