Bring them inside or leave them out?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

chelle.gnz
    Participant

Hi. We had 2 butterflies hatch this afternoon at about 2pm. I read that they need sunlight to fly and they were both in the shade. They are still hanging from their chrysalises (now just after 9.30pm). Will they be ok outside until the morning or should I bring them in? Its about 16 degrees, very light winds, no rain. Thank you 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Bron

It depends on what my “other” life is demanding. I spend a lot of work time travelling around the country… so it depends on what is happening in my life over the next 4-6 weeks. But definitely over the summer I use the butterfly house a lot. Sadly, though, I bought it about ten years ago and it’s definitely on its last legs. I hope to replace it before next season.

And it depends a lot on what is happening as to how many caterpillars I would have in there. Sometimes there are hundreds as people phone me up and ask me to take on caterpillars because they’re out of food or have too many. I have to be careful that I don’t overcrowd them as that’s when you can get disease running through the house. If I get too many, then I park them on well grown bushes (2-3 years old) in the garden.

Jacqui

Bron and Camryn

Hi Jacqui,

How many cats do you normally raise in your butterfly house? (At the same time) Do you do that all season or just when it is getting colder?

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Chelle

Not too sure whereabouts in NZ you are but I can tell you what I’m doing in Auckland is just leaving them in the butterfly house… but there are a few caterpillars in the garden doing their thing.

In the butterfly house are caterpillars which come from eggs which I collect from plants in the wild of the gardens. Pupae too – then I let the butterflies go. They make their chrysalis on the roof of the house – all net.

I figure they’ve got a better chance there where I can keep an eye on them. Monarchs tend to breed here in Auckland and further north when there is a warm period during the winter. Bay of Plenty too.

Let us know what climatic region you’re in so we can give further advice if necessary.

chelle.gnz
    Participant

no not tagging. i will look it up though! this is our first season. over the summer holidays I gave most cats away as we were going away for a month and didn’t have enough food.. since we’ve been back (feb) our plants have grown to 6ft, we have 28 chrysalises and in 2 days we’ve had 6 hatch – 1 died, 2 flew yesterday, my 2 arvo ones i was worried about and our new night time hatcher!

Bron and Camryn

Wow, I’ve never seen one hatch at night. Mine always emerge first thing in the morning.

Are you tagging them?

chelle.gnz
    Participant

Have checked on them and they are ok. in the past 2 hours we have had another one hatch! i thought they only hatched during the day?! (we’re still new to this)

Bron and Camryn

If they hatched outside I think they will probably be ok since they’ve been outside since 2pm. They only take about 4 hours to dry their wings so they should be all good and will figure out where to sleep. I put a couple of butterflies out around 2pm today and they sat around all day then disappeared somewhere for the evening.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.