Aphids

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  alizon 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Mandy
    Participant

I have an aphid infestation on one of my main plants. They don’t seem to be affecting the caterpillars, but they are slowly taking over. How do I get rid of them without hurting the caterpillars?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

alizon
    Participant

I’ve found a small filbert paint brush (with moderately stiff bristles) a fair compromise between my squeamishness about not actually squishing living creatures between my fingers and effectively removing the little greeblies without damaging the plant – mainly orange aphids.

Luckily they tend to cluster together for ease of destruction, usually on tender tips.

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

I generally just use my fingers to squish all the aphids if there are cats on the plants, it’s a lot easier to do if you have caught the infestation early though. I use soapy water also, if it is bad, but I”m actually not sure if it affects the cats adversely, so only use when there are no cats present.

Pepetuna
    Keymaster

I use a Yates Nature’s Way spray that works like soap, and doesn’t seem to have any toxins that affect the caterpillars, either on the plant when you spray, or eating the leaves afterwards.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.