Aphid predator?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Evidently it’s a parasitoid of hover flies..

Jennifer
    Participant

Ah excellent, no I didnt see it predating but it was near and I had seen it hovering, I will now start to watch more clearly.  Thanks very much Jacqui

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Some feedback from an entomologist who looked at the photos:

“Did the photographer see the wasp attacking aphids? It’s hard to tell from the images, but at a guess I would say it is probably an Ichneumon wasp, most likely Diplazon laetatorius. If it is, then you can probably consider it as a pest in the garden. These wasps are parasites of hover flies, and the hover flies are likely feeding on the aphids.

“The hover fly maggot is large and clear, you can see their internal organs quite clearly. They are voracious predators of aphids and other small insects (including psyllids), and are considered beneficial organisms. The adult hover fly often looks much like a bee or vespid wasp (mimicry), and feeds mostly on nectar. We have looked into rearing hover flies in the past; however they are very difficult to rear.”

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.