Alternate food for Caterpillars?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

jaznz
    Participant

I don’t have many plants here at Mahia Northern Hawkes bay and this morning I found the caterpillars had totally eaten all the smaller plants and the biggest one is loaded with at least 50 caterpillars of varying sizes and it will be gone by tomorrow. Is there any thing else I can feed them? Urgent reply required. If there are others on the Peninsular who can help feed them I would appreciate a hand.
    Thanks Joce

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Yes, they look for leaves to lay on, although sometimes the eggs end up on flowers and seed pods. The caterpillars will eat the juicy stems, seed pods and flowers.

jaznz
    Participant

Problem with the schools they don’t have any one to answer the phone yet as its school holidays. And if I rang a radio station it would be to far for some one to pop around to collect them or bring me plants. I have checked today and there is still some plant left to eat and there are 2 chrysalises 2 caterpillars hanging ready to change and hopefully about 9 big and fat enough to change overnight.
    I have a friend bringing me some pumpkin today so will set up a feeding box for the caterpillars as soon as the look close to being ready to change. Whenall the leaves are gone the monarch will have to find some where else to attach their eggs. No leaves no eggs, right.
    Joce

Jacqui
    Keymaster

jaznz – look up at the school – they had swan plants last year when I was there. Also Nuhaka School has swan plants, if someone is going that way.

You can also phone a radio station and tell them – they might be able to help.

notsotypicalblonde
    Participant

Email me Katrina dot mcpherson at yahoo dot com 🙂

jaznz
    Participant

Happy to post you eggs how do I do that? I’ll pay postage. I don’t have any pumpkin at the moe. We had it for tea a couple of nights ago and are over half an hour from a supermarket and I have to care for my mum who is under the weather at present.
    Can’t leave her alone and she to sick to travel.

notsotypicalblonde
    Participant

notsotypicalblonde
    Participant

Hi, I know pumpkin is used for larger stage pillars as emergency food…its controversial though….some report no problems others have found deformities…plenty of info if you google or tags here for alternate food or pumpkin will prob give you local info…. Maybe others could help with plants though and if you are willing Id love eggs s sent in post (happy to pay costs, give info it’s very easy)
    Kind regards Katrina 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.