Novice trying to save a caterpillar-please help!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Swansong 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

CourtneyAnsert
    Participant

Two days ago I discovered a beautiful fat monarch caterpillar in my yard. We took it in to provide it a safer environment and to let my children watch the incredible metamorphosis! Just as the caterpillar was about to attach itself, the habitat was blown off of the table. I found the caterpillar in its "J" shape lying on the bottom. He would not move. I noticed a tiny silk dot at the top where he may have already been stuck.. Fearing the worst, I cleaned the container and placed him back. This morning he looked like he had died but I left him to deal with later. Upon arriving back (only 2 hours) we found a beautiful green chrysalis! It is still on the bottom of the container however, and is too soft to try and reattach or handle. How long do I wait before attempting to reattach it, or place it in an upright position in an egg crate? I know nothing about butterflies, but this little survivor deserves all the help he (or she?) can get!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Swansong
    Participant

Oh COurtney thats GREAT! As you say it should “round out” eventually. I was in a hurry to answer you and (duh) got my Mords Wixed up a bit…. ;-) I meant to say just twirl the cotton bud gently around the little black stick (cremaster).

Just keep it now out of direct heat from sun or heater, but still in a warmish place. I like to make sure the surface is non porus, as, if the chrysalis falls, it wont be sucked dry of the natural moisture surrounding it when its new.

Cheers
    and now you’ll need to keep us posted as to how it goes ;-)))

Swansong

CourtneyAnsert
    Participant

Oh my goodness these things are amazing! I just barely touched the little black stem to the silk dot I found and it adhered really easily. The chrysalis is still soft and the side it was laying on is a little flat, but I hope it rounds out as it hangs. I padded the bottom with wads of tissue leaving only an inch to spare just in case it drops. This little beauty is just destined to make it I think! Thank you all for the advise!

Swansong
    Participant

OK, Im reading this at 4 hours ago. Im going to post in a hurry in the hopes that you will see this.

By now the chrysalis would be onto hardening BUT, I would try and hang it up as quickly as possible as it will still be relatively soft. I feel its important to let it hang naturally if at all possible at this crucial stage. Theres always a danger of a difficult hatching if the chrysalis not uniform. Once its properly hard then it can just lay there, and you’ll have time to discover the many ingenious ways you can more permanently hang it up form this website.

Soooo, I would just twirl the little black stick onto a buffed up cotton wool ear bud. Easy to do. Just hang it so it only just clears the surface of where you hang it in case it drops off. You’ll get the idea real easy.

Let us know how you go.

Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Courtney

I would wait a few days for the chrysalis to really harden off and then you should be able to move him/her.
    I agree with you he/she needs all the help it can get.
    We are big softies aren’t we? hee hee

Cheers
    Char

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.