hibernating butterfly

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Clair 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

JennyB
    Participant

Hi – I am a new member – I need an answer please: we have a butterfly trying to hibernate on a plant in our garden. (Pukekohe area). She is fully formed etc but missed the bus! Should I brung her inside, or move her on her piece of plant to a warmer spot eg: in the carport?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Clair
    Participant

Yep, I’d be worried by now if the butterfly hadn’t moved despite some sunny days. My instinct would be to feed it, specially if it isn’t full size, and then put it in a sheltered spot as Jacqui suggests. Maybe it is just slow to go – or when you feed it you may find another problem. keep us posted :)

Swansong
    Participant

Hi Jenny,
    I went to answer your post a couple of hours ago and I lost my post :XXXX I was sooOOOOoo brassed off I didnt come back til now.

Was going to say, has she eaten anything in that 5 days that you are aware of. It sounds like she hasnt. If not she’ll be getting very hungry and probably a bit weak. You might like to take a look at her abdomen and see how thin she is. She sould have a slightly rounded look. I guess about 4 or 5 mm across….but this depends on her overall size. That would be about average. If there isnt any flowers around, try some honey and water mix or sugar and water. Theres lots of info here on feeding.

HTHs
    Swansong

JennyB
    Participant

Thankyou, jacqui – I will move it tomorrow. J.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

My suggestion would be to move it on a piece of plant into the carport, Jenny. Put it in a position where it will get maximum shelter from the wind, no rain and protection from frosts, and maximum sunshine during the day. I have used a carton for this purpose before, standing it on end, and the plant in a vase, with the open side facing the sun.

Hope that works – others will share ideas as well.

Jacqui

JennyB
    Participant

Thanks, jacqui – yes it’s an adult butterfly (see above) – and has been there at least 5 days now, in spite of some sunny days. We have moved the last of the chrysalises under cover but need to know what to do with the butterfly.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Is this an adult butterfly, or a caterpillar which has formed a J/chrysalis, Jenny?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.